do I have to pay VAT?

VAT will need to be paid at the standard rate for commercial projects, but for new homes (if they meet the required criteria), they can be zero-rated.

This government web page gives a basic guide.

However, even if a new home does qualify as being zero-rated, you still have to pay VAT on some items that are not considered “building materials” (all pre-planning services, equipment hire (except security fencing), kitchen appliances (excluding the cooker hood), audio pack items, curtains & blinds, carpets & some planting).

Because we offer a Design & Build type service, you won’t be paying VAT on our consultancy services following planning approval, including architectural and structural engineers fees.